Reasons to Not Replace Your Own Windows:
This one is simple: No. Unless you are a professional, you will likely have a number of problems you never imagined when trying to replace your own windows. Though home improvement shows make it look easy to save money by doing it yourself, window replacement is one area where you should not try to cut corners.Not all windows are available in the local hardware store. While they do carry windows for new construction, replacement windows need to be special ordered through the manufacturer.
- Though all your windows may look the same, they may vary fractionally in size. If you don’t measure the openings precisely, you will have problems with the installation.
- Forming the exterior cladding requires specialized tools and experience in working with the aluminum. A professional can easily match the color of the windows and aluminum and make sure it provides a tight seal against the elements.
- If your windows are not plumb and square, they will not function properly. Professional installers have the tools and experience to make sure your replacement windows are plumb and square even if the originals were not.
- Once the old windows are removed, you may notice rot or damage. This is typically caused by improper installation. Professionals can fix the damage and properly install the new window so you don’t have to worry about rot in the future.
In addition, professional installation of replacement windows can improve your home’s energy efficiency. When your replacement windows are installed properly, they will provide the maximum seal against the weather, reducing heat or cold from entering your home, and lowering your energy bills.
Hiring a professional to replace your windows can ultimately save you time, money and hassle, unless you hire the wrong one. Make sure to do your homework when hiring someone to work in your home. Here are a few questions to ask when hiring a professional installer:
- How long has the company been in business?
- Is the installer an employee and insured with workman’s compensation and liability?
- Have background checks been conducted on the workmen?
- How much experience does the installation specialist have?
Don’t be afraid to ask for and check references when inviting a company into your home to install your replacement windows. Just as you want the best windows, you should have the best people installing them.